Social Security Ministry says seniors evicted from nursing home in St. Catherine have all been relocated
The Ministry of Labour and Social Security says the senior citizens who were affected by a court-ordered eviction notice at a nursing home in St.Catherine, have all been relocated.
The incident was brought to the public’s attention on March 15.
It was alleged that about 20 senior citizens who were being housed at the Pleasant Care Nursing Home were left outside for some hours, following the eviction notice.
In a press release today (March 20), the Ministry said checks have revealed that all except five of the seniors were collected by their relatives.
The Ministry also noted that the Ministry of Local Government, through the Poor Relief Department had made arrangements to provide shelter in a Government-operated infirmary for the five people.
However, it said the operator of the home declined the offer and assured the Ministry that suitable alternative arrangements had been made for the remaining seniors in her care.
The Ministry confirmed that the facility has been relocated while noting that it continues to monitor the situation.