PM says focus must be placed on breaking link between criminals and illegal sand mining activities
Prime Minister Andrew Holness says focus must be placed on breaking the link between criminals and illegal sand mining activities in the country.
This, he said is one of the challenges being faced by the Government in its efforts to reduce the illegal activity.
Yesterday (July 29), Mr. Holness announced that a policy aimed at reclaiming private lands that have ecologically sensitive natural assets will be implemented soon. This is part of a strategy to protect the country’s natural resources.
He said the Government faces several challenges regarding criminal operations, such as illegal sand mining and this problem needs to be addressed.
Mr. Holness added that investigations are being conducted into allegations of illegal sand mining across the country.
He said the probes have so far revealed that too many of the country’s natural resources are being destroyed.
Meantime, Prime Minister, Andrew Holness said a more focused approach will be taken to tackle issues relating to bauxite mining in the country. This, he said includes how communities are affected.
There have been calls for tighter regulation and monitoring of the sector, and for more benefits to be given to affected residents.
Mr. Holness said he has heard the complaints about urban planning and residential developments and pledged that steps will be taken soon to address the concerns.
He was speaking in St Elizabeth yesterday,