Government to spend additional $100M to mitigate impact of drought facing the island
The Government will be spending an additional $100 million to assist persons across the island being impacted by drought conditions.
Prime Minister Andrew Holness made the announcement of the allocation during a press conference this afternoon (March 3). It follows a $50 million allocation that was announced by Minister with responsibility for water, Matthew Samuda last month.
Speaking at the press conference today, the Prime Minister noted that from as early as October last year, there was a reduction in rainfall and it has since worsened.
Mr Holness said the country is in a crisis with rural communities the most impacted.
He said the Drought Management Committee has been meeting since December, with Cabinet receiving updates on the situation since January.
Mr Holness noted that the bulk of the allocation will be for rural areas with funds allocated on a needs basis.
Meantime, Minister Samuda has indicated that the Drought Management Committee will be meeting weekly going forward.
He noted that apart from the water suppliers and distributors, the Jamaica Constabulary Force is also represented on the Committee.