Spain women have agreed to end boycott
Spain’s World Cup-winning women’s squad have agreed to end their boycott after the Spanish FA said it would make “immediate and profound changes” to its structure.
The boycott ended after the government intervened to help shape an agreement, although two players – Patri Guijarro and Mapi Len – opted to leave the training camp.
The players had said they would not represent Spain until there were further changes at the federation, deepening a crisis that started after Luis Rubiales, the head of the Spanish federation at the time, kissed Jenni Hermoso on the lips during the awards ceremony following Spain’s Women’s World Cup title in Australia last month.
Specific details of the changes agreed upon were not revealed following the meetings involving the government’s top sports official, players, Tome and federation officials. The meetings ended at nearly 5am on Wednesday.
The video you are trying to watch cannot be viewed from your current country or location Spain’s women’s team arrive at the team hotel in Madrid, along with Montse Tome, the new head coach, before the boycott was ended
Amanda Gutierrez, the president of the FUTRPO players’ union, said steps had been made toward establishing the equal treatment between Spain’s Women’s and men’s national teams.
“An agreement has been reached to make changes to the structure of women’s soccer so that the executive and administrative staff will match that of the men’s team, to further professionalise the team and staff,” Gutierrez said.
Victor Francos, Spain’s secretary for sports and president of the Higher Council for Sports, said the “cordial meetings” led to the creation of a committee involving players, the Federation and the government.
Francos added the agreements should promote advances in gender policies and equal pay, as well as lead to structural changes in women’s football.
However, it is not clear if any further departures of personnel will take place within the Federation.