Two policemen freed of murder of a Clarendon man more than 7 years ago

by June 11th, 2019

A jury today (June 11) freed two policemen of the murder of a Clarendon man more than 7 years ago.

Anthony “Toby” Trought of Race Track, Clarendon was shot dead in February 2012.

Corporal Kevin Adams and Constable Jerome Whyte were on trial in the Home Circuit Court since last month.

The seven-member jury retired for less than an hour, before freeing the men.

The crown had alleged at the trial that Trought was killed in cold blood in front of his home at Race Track, Clarendon.

However, the policemen in un-sworn statements from the dock said they were fired on and acted in self defence and that a firearm was taken from Trought.

The two policemen were among 13 cops from the Clarendon Police Division who were alleged to be part of the so-called “death squad” which was allegedly involved in extra judicial killings in Clarendon.

Defence lawyers in addressing the jury asked for the men to be acquitted, because the prosecution did not prove its case that Trought was killed in cold blood.

Defence lawyers K. Churchill Neita and Valerie Neita Robertson had asked the jury to reject the suggestions by the prosecutors that the gun the policemen said they recovered at the scene was planted.

Meantime, prosecutors in addressing the jurors asked them to convict the policemen because it was not a case of self defence but a case to hunt shoot and kill.

Justice Marcia Dunbar Green in her summation reminded the jurors that they were sole judges of the facts and should return a true verdict according to the evidence.