Prime Minister says NWA has initiated internal review into 2018 Corporate Area flooding

by January 10th, 2019

The National Works Agency has initiated an internal review, into the flooding of parts of Marcus Garvey Drive, and Mandela Highway, in Kingston, last year.

The flooding, left many people stranded for several hours, and resulted in the closure of two main arteries of commerce, in the island.

Prime Minister, Andrew Holness, says the review is examining the state of the drains, and determining the estimated peak flow, which then would give reasons for the flooding, and mitigation strategies.

Speaking in Parliament on Tuesday, Mr. Holness said, a draft report is ready for review, and it will be sent to his office before the end of January.

Mr. Holness said, that while drain maintenance is critical, it cannot be seen as a long-term solution to these issues.

He added, that the report from the NWA, will be tabled in the Lower House.