Jamaicans held in Trinidad now back home
New information is emerging as to why some Jamaicans were denied entry into Trinidad and detained 2 weeks ago.
One of those detained says some of them were denied entry because they had overstayed their time on a previous visit to the twin island republic.
Earlier reports had indicated that the detainees were not told why they had been prevented from entering the country and being held.
Six of the seven Jamaicans who were detained on March 12, returned to Jamaica earlier today (March 24).
The seventh Jamaican had already secured her release from the detention centre last week, through her sponsor in Trinidad.
Irie FM first reported the story of the detention of the Jamaicans more than a week ago.
One of the women, Odette Ferron told Irie FM News this afternoon that 3 of the 6 had overstayed before.
However, reasons for the detention of the others, who are first time travellers to Trinidad, are not known.
Ms. Ferron says the 6 who came home today are happy to be back on Jamaican soil.
They arrived at the Norman Manley International Airport in Kingston at approximately 11:30 a.m.
Their trip home was made possible, after friends of the six as well as security guards at the detention centre, pooled funds to purchase return tickets on another airline.
The Foreign Affairs Ministry had said it had been making efforts to get the Jamaicans home, but was faced with challenges including the suspension of flights by regional carrier, Red Jet.
The Jamaicans had pleaded for assistance with securing funds to purchase their return tickets home, and complained about the unfavourable conditions under which they were being kept at the detention centre.
Friends and family chipped in with funds for the return trip after news circulated that the Jamaicans were to be moved to an immigration facility with harsher conditions than at the detention centre.