You are here
EOJ apologies for mistake with election expenses declaration listingPosted: March 30, 2012
The Electoral Office of Jamaica EOJ says it erred in the publication of some names of candidates for not submitting election expenses declarations.
The published list indicates that 48 PNP, 20 JLP and 8 candidates for other parties complied within the given deadline of March 16.
However, 15 PNP, 37 JLP and 16 candidates from other parties failed to submit their declarations.
Some of the 68 candidates deemed non-compliant challenged the listing, saying that they had submitted the relevant documentation by the stipulated March 16 deadline.
In a statement this afternoon, the EOJ says the names of six candidates were incorrectly published as having not submitted their returns.
These candidates did in fact submit the required documents to their respective constituency offices on or before the extended deadline
The documents were however not forwarded to the director of elections at the EOJ head office in time for the publication of the list.
The affected PNP candidates are Collington Campbell, Damion Crawford, Patrick Roberts and Granville Valentine and the affected JLP candidates are Pearnel Charles and Desmond Mckenzie.
The electoral office says it regrets the error and has apologised to the candidates for any inconvenience the misprint may have caused.
When asked by Irie FM News if the list was not checked yesterday prior to today's publication, EOJ officials say it was.
The EOJ says it was only after the list was published today that the office was made aware that some candidates’ documents were submitted to the respective constituency offices, but not sent to the director in Kingston.
The documents have since been handed over.
It adds that following the publication of the list in the local newspapers, some candidates have submitted their documents just today.
In the meantime, the EOJ has confirmed that the documents for JLP candidate Danville Walker was submitted to the constituency office earlier this week, but is yet to be delivered to the director.
This after Mr walker, who was not named in the corrected EOJ list, issued a release this afternoon indicating that he had submitted the documents last week, which is one week later than the deadline for submission.