The vendors of the Harbour Street and Old Fort Craft Markets in Montego Bay, St. James, have devised an initiative, aimed at bringing more visitors to the craft facilities.
This in the wake of concerns that most of the cruise ship visitors were being diverted to the larger in bond shops, thereby hampering the earnings of the craft vendors.
Manager of the Harbour Street Craft Market Mikoyan Robinson says as part of efforts to attract more tourists to the market, a select group of tour bus drivers has been employed by the market.
These 12 drivers will offer to visitors a package tour, which includes being taken to local attractions and then shuttled back to the craft market for food, entertainment and shopping.
Mr. Robinson says the initiative will be tested on February 28, after which the vendors will assess its effectiveness and determine if the package tours can be implemented as a long term measure.
Meantime, the Harbour Street Craft Market has received a multi-million dollar grant from the Tourism Enhancement Fund, to help boost marketing and improve infrastructure.
Mr. Robinson told Irie FM News, that the $15.2 m grant, follows appeals for assistance.
He explains, that he had submitted a proposal to the TEF, outlining concerns about insufficient marketing and poor infrastructure.
He says the grant funding, which was approved earlier this week, will be used to upgrade the facility, as well as, boost local and international promotional activities, in a bid to attract more cruise visitors.